Career Events help you learn how to prepare for jobs and internships. Many of these events allow you to talk with employers. By participating in a Career Event, you'll learn concepts and skills that will help both during your time at Mason, and after you graduate from Mason.
Before attending a Career Event, take time to prepare. Effectively preparing for a Career Event will help you impress employers and more effectively learn from the event.
Health Care Industry: Career Fair
Thursday, May1st, 2014: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dewberry Hall, Johnson Center, Fairfax Campus
Open to students, alumni and the communityThis is a Health-focused career fair at George Mason University, hosted in partnership with the Virginia Public Health Association (VPHA)! Participating organizations have available internships, co-ops, full-time jobs, and part-time jobs in the health industry. Due to the partnership with the VPHA, this event is expected to attract employers state wide in areas of public health, health administration and clinical health.
Click here for the list of participating employers.
The program will also feature a series of roundtable discussions on a variety of career opportunities in public health as well as ideas to help in the job hunt. Registration is free for current students, and is required to participate in the roundtables. Students who wish to visit potential employers only are not required to register in advance.
- 9:00 a.m. Career Fair
- 9:30 a.m. Poster Presentation
- 10:30 a.m. Roundtables (see topics below)
- 1:00 p.m. Career Fair concludes
- Career Opportunities with the Virginia Department of Health
- Career Research Resources within the Field of Public Health
- Careers in Environmental Health
- Choosing a Graduate School
- Epidemiology Careers & VCUs PH.D. Programs
- Global Health Careers
- Health Administration
- Health Policy, Law and Ethics
- How to Write a FOCUSED Public Health Resume and Cover Letter
- Networking and Informational Interviewing Do's and Don'ts
- Public Health Internships and Fellowships
- Social Networking and Managing your Online Persona
REGISTER HERE for one or more of the roundtable discussions.
Health Care Industry Week: Panel Discussions
Attend a panel discussion during Health Care Industry Week! No registration required - first come, first served. Panel discussions allow you to learn from a panel of participating employers. You'll also have the opportunity to network with employers.
Monday, April 28: Health Career Settings Panel, UCS Resource Room 12-2pm
The goal for this panel is to meet student's career development needs by exposing them to panelists that can speak to various work settings that students interested in health careers can pursue, beyond the traditional settings.
- Dr. First (Health Informatics Company)
- ODS Security (Hospital Security)
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management (Federal Healthcare Options)
- NIH Researcher (Center for Advancing Translational Science) (Health Research - Alumnus)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (Health Insurance and Consulting - Alumna)
Tuesday, April 29: Health Consulting Panel, UCS Resource Room 12-2pm
The goal of this panel is to demystify and highlight the vast opportunities for all disciplines within the Health Consulting Industry
- STG International, Office of Head Start (Alumni)
- Lockheed Martin (Alumnus)
- Deloitte (Alumnus)
- Booz Allen Hamilton X3
Wednesday, April 30: Public Health Panel, UCS Resource Room, Time 12-2pm
The goal for this panel is to meet student's career development needs who are interested in learning about the various career options within the larger Public Health Industry.
- Helping Individual Prostitute Service (HIPS) (Health Education and Community Health - Alumnus)
- American Public Health Association (APHA) and DC Health Benefit Exchange (Public Health, Health Equity, Access to Healthcare - Alumnus)
- American Society for Clinical Oncology (Prevention, health equity, health education - Alumna)
- Midego (Global Health consulting)
Friday, May 2: Healthcare Careers Panel, UCS Resource Room, Time 12-2pm
The goal of this panel is to provide professional development opportunities for students interested in pursuing clinical health careers
- Medical Technician (Alumnus)
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Medical Student (Alumnus)
- Physical TherapistX2
- Physician Assistant
- Social Worker
Practice Interview Days - Registration Required
Wednesday, February 5 & Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Career Services, SUB I, Suite 3400
Practice your interview skills with real employers! Employers will give you feedback during these half hour mock interviews. You must register -- no walk-ins are available.
Register for a time slot through your HireMason account.
Practice Interview Days are great opportunities to get ready for a job or internship search, or to prepare for a career fair.
Thursday, May1st, 2014: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.