Interview on Campus
Fall 2020: September 14 – November 13
All interviews will be conducted virtually until further notice
The On-Campus Interviewing Program provides a convenient way for employers to interview students on Mason's Fairfax campus for career-related positions including for full-time, part-time, and internship positions.
All Mason degree-seeking undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni are eligible to participate in the On-Campus Interviewing Program. Screening criteria, such as major, GPA, and work authorization, are set by you, the employer.
University Career Services will also work with you to promote your positions to our students and faculty. Connect with your assigned Industry Advisor to develop a recruiting strategy at Mason.
Steps to Participating in On-Campus Interviewing
Log in to Handshake. Select "Request an Interview" from your dashboard and follow the prompts.
- From anywhere in Handshake: Select Interviews on the left toolbar
- Click Request Interview Schedule in the upper right corner
- Select George Mason University from the dropdownlist
- Select an interview date and an alternate date
- Specify the Requested Room Count
- Under Choose Your Preferred Timeline select from the following three options:
Select this option to reserve interviewing space only. We will reserve a room for your use while you create your own interviewing schedule. All interviews must be scheduled to begin no earlier than 9:00 a.m. and to end by 4:30 p.m. Employers often select this option if they would like to ensure a room reservation but fill their schedule with candidates met at a particular event they are attending on campus such as the Career Fair.
Select this option to post a position and allow qualified students to sign-up for interview times on a first-come, first-served basis. Unlike the Preselect Continuous and Preselect to Alternate schedules, which allow you to pre-screen candidates, the open schedule allows students to immediately sign-up for an interviewing slot upon submitting their resume.
Select this option to reserve interviewing space, post a position with set screening criteria, review submitted resumes, and invite TWO tiers of candidates to select an interviewing time on your schedule. Once primary students select a time to interview, your schedule will open to candidates you selected as alternates.
- Select Interview Slot Timeline Template
- Choose the job you would like to attach to this interview schedule.
- Not ready to post now? Click the Remind Me Later option.
- Click Review to view the posting.
- Click Request when you are ready to post.
Please allow up to two business days for your interview schedule to be reviewed.
- ROOM ONLY: If you have selected a Room Only Interview, we will hold an interviewing space. The employer will manage incoming resumes, source candidates, and build their own interview schedule outside of Handshake.
- OPEN: Open Interview schedules allow students to independently book an interview timeslot on a first-come, first-served basis. You, as the employer, are not required to take action to build your interview schedule.
- PRESELECT: If you selected a Preselect to Alternate schedule, applicants will begin to submit their resumes in Handshake. Once the Apply End date has passed, you will have a three-day Employer Selection Period to review resumes and invite students to interview. Primary Candidates are offered timeslots first; shortly after, Alternate Candidates will also be granted an option to select interview timeslots.
The following recruiting policies apply to all employers who recruit at George Mason University through Handshake and on-campus events, including the On-Campus Interviewing Program. All policies that apply generally to recruiting at Mason also apply to the On-Campus Interviewing Program.
Employers agree to act in accordance with NACE’s Principles for Ethical Professional Practice.
Employers agree to use the space to actively recruit for open job opportunities or internship positions at their organization.
Employers agree to not solicit students in any manner. Opportunities cannot require that students make a financial investment or payment to secure employment or an internship.
The Employer Relations Team manages room reservations and the electronic database for On-Campus Interviewing. The employer agrees to manage student communication, supplies, and logistics.
Organizations must post bona fide jobs or internships
- Applicant resumes will be transmitted on the condition that parties outside of the organization will not be permitted access to those resumes without the written consent of the applicant.
Note: Third party agents or agencies are not eligible to participate in the On-Campus Interviewing Program.
If the university is operating on a delay or is closed for weather or any other reason, University Career Services will also be closed during those same time periods. Events and services sponsored by our office that were scheduled to occur when the university delays or closes will also be delayed or cancelled.
University closings are announced on the university home page and the local news stations.
Employers should coordinate their schedule to allow for an early arrival for on-campus events. The Mason Pond Parking Deck is approximately a 10 minute walk from our office. In the event of a late arrival, employers are responsible to communicate with students to coordinate alternate interview times.
Both students and employers are required to provide a minimum of 48 hours’ notice if they are unable to conduct or attend their On-Campus Interview(s).
In the event of a cancellation, the Employer Relations Team will help identify alternate dates, locations, and to create a new interview schedule in Handshake. The employer will communicate the cancellation details to applicants, field questions, and assist with rescheduling appointments.
Naturally, a last minute cancellation may leave some applicants disappointed; having an employer communicate with the interviewees helps to alleviate concerns and maximize applicant retention.
Contact Christie Michals, Employer Relations Coordinator, 703-993-6191