Post a Position

Using Work Authorization to Recruit

The Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(1)(B) prohibits the use of citizenship status requirements in recruiting. 

The use of a work authorization screening requirement in job postings is not permissible unless U.S. citizenship is required by law, regulation, executive order, or government contract.
Review Best Practices For Online Job Postings on the US Department of Justice website.


The first step to recruiting at Mason is to connect with George Mason University on Handshake, Mason's centralized job and internship database that features opportunities across the nation.

Existing Handshake users should request to be connected to George Mason University by clicking on Schools (under Relationships) on the left side tool bar. 

New to Handshake?  Register for a Handshake account and link to Mason by following these steps:

  1. Create an Account
  2. Select the Employer account type from the options presented
  3. Fill out the information requested then click Sign Up
  4. Enter your recruiting interests and Alma Mater and click Next: Employer Guidelines
  5. Use the search bar to find your employer’s page. If your company does not exist in Handshake, you can click the Create New Company button. 

Please allow up to two business days for your connection request at Mason to be processed.

Handshake Help Center Article: How to Create a User Account, Join a Company, and Connect with Schools

Post Jobs and Internships

To post a job, internship, or fellowship on Handshake:

  • Login to Handshake  
  • From your dashboard, click on Post a Job.  You may also click on Jobs (under Postings) on the left side toolbar, then, Create a Job.
  • Complete the required fields and click Create to save your entry.

Please allow up to two business days for your posting to be reviewed.

Handshake Help Center Article for assistance: How to Post a Job

Federal Work-Study for Off-Campus Employers

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized program which provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the costs of postsecondary education. Based on results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are awarded an allotment which may be earned through part-time employment in FWS approved positions either on or off-campus.

What are the benefits of enrolling in the Federal Work-Study Program as an employer?

FWS funds provide qualifying on and off-campus organizations the ability to hire Mason students at minimal cost. While initially all employers are charged 100% of wages, reimbursement is federally subsidized at 75% of a FWS student's wage. Employers must cover the remaining 25%. 

What kind of employers can participate?

At this time, Mason only offers partnership opportunities to nonprofits, schools, and government agencies. 

What steps do I need to take to participate?

Organizations interested in pursuing an FWS partnership with Mason must complete the Off-Campus Interest Form located on the Federal Work-Study website (under Employers > Off-Campus) and submit it to Mason's FWS Coordinator for review. The FWS Coordinator will reply with a decision and, if approved, with the Off-Campus Agreement and any other necessary forms for review and submission. 

On-Campus Employers

Want to hire a student worker for your department? Student positions can be structured as Federal Work Study or Wage Positions. More information is available to Hire a Student Worker.

More information is available on the Financial Aid: Federal Work-Study website (scroll down to Employers). Questions about FWS? Contact