The Scholarship for Unpaid Internships provides financial support to students who would not be able to participate in an internship experience in their chosen field without it.
Preference is given to students seeking their FIRST internship/career experience in their chosen field of interest and demonstration of financial hardship incurred by taking on an unpaid internship experience. Students may receive up to $1000 during the fall and spring semesters and up to $3000 during the summer term.
The Scholarship for Unpaid Internship is open to all Mason students (undergraduate and graduate) pursuing an unpaid internship in an upcoming term and that meet the criteria listed below.
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Currently enrolled, degree-seeking student
University Career Services receives applications through Handshake during separate application cycles for each academic term the scholarship is available (fall, spring, and summer). Students do not need to have secured an internship at the time of application.
The application cycles for the academic year are as follows:
- Fall Internships: June 1 - July 15
- Spring Internships: November 1 - December 1
- Summer Internships: March 1 - April 1
1. Responses to the following questions:
- What type of internship are you seeking and why?
- Will this be your first internship in your preferred field?
- Why is participating in an internship important to your career goals at this time?
- This scholarship is intended to support individuals who would not be able to participate in an unpaid internship without receiving additional monetary support. Explain in detail how receiving this scholarship would make it possible for you to participate in an unpaid internship.
2. Current Resume (should be up to date)
3. Recent Letter of Recommendation (academic or professional)
Undergraduate Student Veterans:
Please indicate your military status and what branch you served in your application. Additional funding for undergraduate Veterans (DD-214 required) has been provided by a generous donation from the Colonel Tom Johnson Family Scholarship for Veterans Endowment.
- Students are responsible for securing their own unpaid internship
- Awardees will be required to provide proof they have secured an unpaid internship before any monies will be disbursed
- Funds will be applied to awardees’ Mason student account at the beginning of the term when the student will be completing the internship and must be applied to any outstanding balance on the account before being disbursed directly to the student
- Students who wish to earn academic credit for their internship experience must work with their academic department
- Additional details will be provided to selected applicants