There are various options for presenting your involvement with LGBTQ organizations to employers.
View the resume sample (PDF) for ideas.
The strength of your identification and level of commitment to the LGBTQ community may be a deciding factor in whether or not you are out in the job search and workplace. This is a very personal decision. If through self-reflection you decide that finding an employer where your sexual orientation or gender identity/expression will be affirmed is important, the following resources may be of help.
- Human Rights Watch: List of LGBTQ friendly companies, professional associations, tips on coming out at work
- Out for Work: Hosts national career fair and conference for LGBTQ job seekers
- ProGayJobs: Job search board
- Lambda Legal: Provides civil rights and workplace discrimination legal support for LGBTQ individuals
- National Center for Transgender Equality: Social justice advocacy organization for policy change to advance transgender equality
- Out Professionals: Provides members with resources to effectively network with other LGBT professionals
- Trans Employment Program: A collaborative program designed to help create inclusive workplaces and jobs for trans and gender non-conforming people